Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Harbin No. 18 High School

We visited a school this morning. It was an amazing experience. Students were genuinely excited to see us. They greeted us as dignitaries. That is not an experience I have had as a middle school principal.

One student, in a science class, was so excited when we walked into the classroom she dragged me over to her microscope. She and her lab partner were working on looking at the cells of an onion. She encouraged me to look through the microscope and then proceeded to explain, in very good English, what I was looking at. She asked to take a picture with me and hugged me before I left. She was so genuine I was overwhelmed.

We were also treated to some student performances. They were all exceptional, but there was one that was particularly interesting. One student performed a traditional tea ceremony while three students played a traditional Chinese instrument. A fourth student wrote in calligraphy on a scroll. The
scroll was presented to our delegation as a gift.

All of the pictures taken are on my camera. I will send them later. It was a great visit.

Today we fly back to Beijing and get ready for another school visit tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment